The Governing Council comprises of 9 persons who are in themselves solvent and are able to give both visibility and credibility to the work of the Institution, nationally, regionally and globally. Membership is designed for a term of 3 years for a maximum of 2 terms and shall be staggered amongst its members to ensure continuity.
Members of the governing council are identified by the nomination committee of the Governing following prescribed guidelines to ensure that the skills and competence required are available for all committees of the Board and ensure that each committee has at least three members.
- The Governing Council ensures that the programs and operations of the Institution continually align with the vision of the Board of Trustees, the orientation of the Institution as well as the legal and regulatory requirements in all countries in which the Institution may be registered.
- The Governing Council ensures that the Institution is managed along rigorous ethical guidelines for charitable giving and management drawing largely from regulations established for similar organizations in the United Kingdom and the United States.
- The Governing Council establishes policies relating to spending, management and secretariat governance, professional standards, investment and geographic focus.
- The Governing Council oversees the internal and external auditors, represent the institution before the public and review the performance and set the compensation of all of the officers.
- The Governing Council appoints from time to time such committees as deemed advisable and proper to realizing the goals of the Foundation.
- The Governing Council reviews and approves for submission to the Board of Trustees the annual report, strategic, business and annual plan of the organization
- The Governing Council appoints and has oversight responsibilities for the Chief Executive Officer of the Organization
- The Governing Council reviews the overall performance, making use of both internal and external evaluations, and Committee reports;
Each member of the Governing Council is entitled to one vote. No person shall serve as member of the Governing Council in more than one capacity.